SAS (society for Animation studies) conference 2013



This years SAS (Society for Animation Studies) conference was hosted by the University of Southern California (USC). The program was quite outstanding.

I delivered my paper on Wednesday Morning.



Click to go to Presentation 
(Password Access only) 

Helix: An animators Animated Brain recalling practice-based experimentation.


In the paper, I began by recalling practice experimentation as a linear narrative, then explained how I felt this was limiting as the recall did not illustrate my creative process. I could not find a model that reflected what was going on in my mind in the process of producing my animation experiments and so I produced one using my animation tools.


Helix illustrates my own creative process and is a site of on going experimentation with CG Modelling tools. Helix has also been produced as an abstract film however, I am still in the process of clearing the music copyrights for this work.

The feedback was much better than I had hoped. The other researchers and practitioners in the audience were technically constructive with their advice and offered further areas of exploration.

The greatest compliment was from Steve, who said that my work has the feel of Len Lye! Many people stopped me in the street over the next day or so to say how fresh and exciting they found my work, and that they had found the paper very interesting.

I came away feeling that the research will ultimately be useful to the field of Animation and to the wider research community.


Key Note Speakers


Jeffrey Katzenberg - a brilliant address from a well respected veteran from the Industry.

Bill Damaschke - Yet another brilliant address from the animation industry.. USC obviously has an embarrassment of riches! Wonderful.


Tom Sito - For his enormous effort in writing an extensive account of the development of Computer Animation... As an insider who lived through it. Having not finished reading Moving Innovation as yet, I have managed to read the first chapter as LA is in the midst of a heat wave and I have spent the  afternoon reading it. So far, it seems that his knowledge on the subject comes from someone who knows because they lived it...such a treasure. I really enjoyed his writing style, lively and entertaining. This book is very different to Droidmaker, however, having read texts on Stan Vanderbeek, Artist-Animation and the having lived through the Demoscene underground scene in the 80's, I suspected there was more to the story of Computer Animation than that, and the timing of this book is perfect for my own research. (Book Review coming shortly)

Davide Quayola - So, I may have read his work differently to others however, I saw Humanism, fragmentation and belief followed by invisible architecture, multiple dimensions and perspectives, materiality and light, patterns made visible though motion and beautiful music... But I could be wrong. Strata 1

Tracey Fullerton - for her consciousness centred computer game called The Night Journey.

Mike Fink... How much more talent does USC have hanging around the place... Do they grow them in a greenhouse around the back? Shifting through histories that align Animation with the evolution of Art.. Beautiful.

David Hanson and Phil. - A dangerously intelligent guy with a good ethos for developing robotics for the use of Humanity! I asked Phil if he did any housework? But I suspect he could probably write a good Animation paper let alone iron some shirts. An uncanny experience.

Geena Davis - for shining the spotlight fair gender representation in the media.

In addition to these keynote speakers, I enjoyed the well produced theory-based papers written and presented by theoreticians based in the field. Theory plays an integral part in strengthening the standing of Animation studies in the Academy.

Also, well done and Kudos, to all the brave and passionate Animators, Artists and Industry professionals that have made a decision to root themselves in the Academy. This is not a position for the faint hearted, and although the field of Animation studies is welcoming of this turn... Much of the academy still lingers in the last century. In my mind this gives Animation Studies as huge advantage.


I also had the pleasure of meeting these enormously supportive and encouraging individuals,

Steve Weymouth - For his paper focused on neuroscience and animation. As a fellow panelist, I particularly appreciated his take on the brain. Seeing Barry Purves working on his recent stop-motion film was a real treat and bought home the way in which the animator seems transfer of a piece of themselves through the puppet... Part of the 'soul' transferred by touch (the Sensorial body if you will).

Jane Shadbolt - For her excellent paper entitled, "The Visual Qualities of Impossible Space". On understanding the mechanics in her project, I felt compelled to think about how animation has a rich archive of inventions and innovative thinking and that this is very fertile ground for contemporary experimental and commercial forms of animation. 


Suzie Elmore - who helped me out with finding the metro, local art galleries and reminded me to book my supershuttle to catch my flight on time...very valuable advice!

Steve Fore - For friendly drinks, lively chat about his Fender and discussion about academia, music, the universe and everything.

Bethany Sparks - For our lively and exciting chat about sound sampling and how non musicians visualise music. Here's hoping we keep in touch about this.. It could make a very, very interesting  project.

Marcel Valcere - For our surreal out of body experience by the fountain in which we discussed our creative aspirations, creative thinking and wondering of the world really exists of whether it's all part of some very sophisticated computer program! We chuckled quite a lot at this... And no we are not mad.

Cheryl Cabrera - for lunch and long chats about human nature!

Marsha Kinder - For her interest in my project and her work at The Labyrinth project For her kindness and interesting insight into Helix. Together with other comments made I will be sure to look further into stochastic systems.

William Swartout - For attending my paper and offering his advice on Design theory, Cognitive testing and the Spira. I was touched at how supportive William was, and generous with his time and insight into my research problem. His words have probably saved me from a world of pain!

Kathy Smith, Lisa Mann and Christine Panushka - For their kind invitation to such a wonderful and visionary event.  With collaborative sand animation. 360 degree dome projection, excellent lunch, and for organising a well run event that made one feel really welcom.

Attending the SAS conference enabled a larger mapping of current research, connecting sites of active discourse between research in ways I hadn't been able to do from the literature alone. Meeting the researchers and speaking about my own project was invaluable.

I enjoyed giving the paper (for which I was unreasonably nervous!) and gained excellent feedback while making some great contacts in the process.

Next Year.. Canada!








Popular Posts